Written and compiled by Lori Jo and published on the Advantage Wellness Management Inc. blog, websites, and all their social medias but the company has since closed due to new health reform laws so I am publishing the work here as an example of my published work.
Recipe and photos by Lori J0
Although these top 29 super-foods aid in weight loss they also provide powerful nutritional benefits for your bones, immune system, eyesight and mental clarity. Below I will list the foods along with idea on how to include them into your daily diet and then I will provide one of my personal recipes for you to try to enjoy. This time I am going to provide you with a recipe on Salmon Gravlax. Something that is so easy to prepare but I bet you have not even tried it! It’s similar to smoked salmon but I like it even more and versatile as you can eat it alone, on crackers, in salads, sandwiches and much more.
1. Grapefruit: Studies have shown that those who add fresh grapefruit to their diet lose more weight than those who do not. Grapefruits contain a bioflavonoid called narignin, which not only boosts metabolism, but its antioxidants’ seek and destroy free radicals (helps to prevent cancer).
2. Black beans: Black beans are not only beautiful and inexpensive but also delicious and they contain 15 grams of protein without the saturated fat found in red meat. These are delicious in Mexican food, vegetarian tacos, etc. Be sure and soak them overnight. One of the nice things about dried beans is you can store them for a long period.
3. Oats: Oats are full of hunger satisfying fiber and ½ cup has 4.6 grams of resistant starch according to the health.com website. Oats contain resistant starch. Resistant starch is a healthy carb that helps to burn fat and boosts your metabolism. Another fun thing about oats is it is not only good for breakfasts but there are also many desserts you can make with them.
4. Avocados: I just mentioned healthy carbs previously but now I want to mention healthy fats and Avocados are just that. Avocados contain oleic acid, a healthy monounsaturated fat that can reduce your sensation of hunger as well as fiber and protein. Try to eat ¼ to ½ a day.5.
5. Salmon: Salmon is a lean source of protein, which statistics show; women usually do not get enough protein. Not only is salmon delicious, filling, and versatile, it is full of MUFA’s (monounsaturated fatty acids), which aid dieters in weight loss and help them to keep the weight off. There are so many ways to enjoy salmon, such as sushi or grilled, and left over salmon is great when eaten cold in your favorite salad. One of my favorite things to make with salmon at home is salmon skin sushi rolls. The skin of the salmon is a very concentrated form of the good fats and is delicious when crispy and combined with crunchy cucumber, rice and nori (edible seaweed that is dried or toasted). This is a nice sushi alternative for those that do not want to eat their salmon raw.
6. Blueberries: Blueberries are beautifying, healthy, and slimming – all things that make me happy! They are only 8 calories a serving and are full of anti-aging antioxidants. Another plus is the 4 grams of fiber that can help you to feel full after eating them. Try them on your morning oatmeal or as part of a delicious smoothie.
7. Broccoli: Broccoli is green and lovely and delicious raw or cooked. Its low calorie, full of cancer fighting properties such as fiber and this makes it the perfect food for losing weight. I love broccoli in chopped salads. Jamie Oliver has some wonderful chopped salad recipes that use root vegetables and broccoli with wonderful vinaigrette dressings.
8. Brown Rice: We all love rice and brown rice is the perfect alternative to white. One serving contains 1.7 grams of resistant starch (we talked about that earlier) which boosts your metabolism and burns fat. I love to mix brown rice with tuna, a bit of olive oil, eggless mayo, sea salt and pepper for a lovely and simple salad. You can also add olives, capers, frozen peas (or whatever you may have in the fridge) to brown rice for a healthy and easy to prepare lunch. This dish is delicious the next day as well so make enough for leftovers.
9. Pears: Pears (with the skin) are full of fiber and a study shows that women who eat three pears a day consumed fewer calories and lost more weight than those who did not. Make pears a delicious part of your salads with a wonderful goat cheese. They also make lovely desserts when paired with dark chocolate.
10. Wine: Grape skin contains an antioxidant called “Resveratrol” which stops fat storage. Studies have shown that wine drinkers are slimmer in the middle than hard alcohol drinkers. One glass of wine will boost your calorie-burning rate for up to 30 minutes. One glass of red wine or chilled rose is delicious with lentil salad.
Need another nudge to eat healthy? Here is my personal recipe for Salmon Gravlax, it is so easy to prepare that you will not believe it! It is similar to smoked salmon but I like it even more because of its versatility: you can eat it alone, on crackers, in salads, sandwiches and much more.
Gravlax is very economical. I eat it for breakfast on rice crackers topped with cream cheese or at lunch in a salad or sandwich. You can also try it on top of blinis with a little sour cream and chives.
As a finish to part 1 of my article, I am going to share with you my mine and my husband Gravlax recipe. Gravlax is just as delicious as smoked salmon if not more so (I like it better) and it is very easy to make and much more economical. I eat it for breakfast on rice crackers topped with cream cheese or at lunch in a salad or sandwich. It is very versatile.
- Salmon filet, 500 grams.
- Fresh dill
- Pepper corns
- Coriander seeds
- Sea salt
- Remove the skin from the salmon (some recipes say to leave the skin but I prefer without)
- Toast peppercorns and coriander
- Grind toasted seeds in a mortar and pestal
- Mix with salt and sugar
- Make a bed with half of the mixture, add half the dill
- Place salmon filet above the rest of the dill and then add the remaining other half of the mixture
- Wrap in aluminum. Make small holes to drain the liquid
- Place in the refrigerator for 2 days with a weight on top
Yummy and healthy, enjoy!
- “Best Super Foods for Weight Loss” Health.com.<http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20475957,00.html>.